Wednesday 16 December 2009

Books I've Read in 2009 - December

Here's the list so far, thought I would add it now rather than forgetting half of it at the end of the month.

76. Wolf on the Fold by Judith Clarke

Kenny is 14 and his father has just died. He now has to get a job so that he can keep his family together. Something happens that will change the way Kenny looks at the world. This fantastic story is told with six different tales interwoven together. Told through the generations of Kenny’s family, it shows what happens when youth and adulthood collide. I thought it was very well written.

77. 48 Shades of Brown by Nick Earls

Quite a good Australian story about Dan, who is spending a year living with his cousin Jacq and her roommate Naomi. Dan is finishing his last year of high school

78. Little Fur: A Fox Called Sorrow by Isobelle Carmody

I remember reading Isobelle Carmody when I was little, I’ve always enjoyed entering her fantasy world, Little Fur is no different, and I’m reading the third in the series now. Although Carmody has still been quite heavy handed with the ‘humans are the ruin of the earth’, I have really enjoyed this junior series. I think that despite me not liking that aspect of the books, it still sends a positive message about what we’re doing wrong. The series, with its secret wilderness full of creatures, reminds me of animals of farthing wood. For this adventure Little Fur and friend Ginger, two ferrets, a rat and Sorrow, a fox that wants to die have to journey to the Underth, to discover an evil troll kings plans.

79. Little Fur: A Mystery of Wolves by Isobelle Carmody

Little Fur rescues a wolf Greyson, as payment he agrees to take Little Fur deep into the mountains to look for Ginger and the ferrets from the last story. Along the way, Little Fur learns the story of her parents, and elf prince and troll princess. She got a green pendant from her mother and a grey cloak from her father.

80. Don’t Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs, she Thinks I’m a Piano Player in a Whorehouse by Paul Carter.

This was hilarious – I’m looking forward to reading the sequel. Carter has a fantastic way of telling his story. He makes even the scariest situation seem funny.

81. Looking for JJ by Anne Cassidy

This was a well written, if rather chilling story. It’s scary to think there are actual children out in the world like JJ. But it raises a very interesting topic – can people really change?

When JJ was 10, she killed her best friend. The story is told in flashbacks by ‘Alice’. Although I knew what was going to happen, it didn’t lessen the impact, Cassidy has taken a very real subject and rather than sensationalizing it, she has written an honest yet unflinching novel.

82. Spy High, Episode 1: The Frankenstein Factory by A. J Butcher

I’ve been listening to this on Playaway and so far, I’m not terrible impressed. The series is set in the US, but this edition is from Bolinda, an Australian company – so its bad American accents all round. But while the narrator is reading the story he has a skippy accent.

83. Spy High, Episode 2: The Chaos Connection by A. J. Butcher.

Against my better judgement I listened to the second Spy High book, the narrator and his crap American accents don’t improve, which is kinda distracting. Who says Van-ness-sirrr? I mean really, even I can do a better accent that this guy. The actual story isn’t too bad as long as you suspend all belief that somehow, fully trained spy/army adults can’t take care of themselves. But 6 teenagers with limited experience in everything but being annoying teenagers, can manage to pull through and not get dead. There are the general grievances between Bond Team members and other students that add a slightly more realistic edge to the series. Overall, it’s not a bad series, just put your suspend reality pants on and go along for the ride.

84. The Song of an Innocent Bystander by Ian Bone

The story is told in alternating sections, Freda, at different ages, the hostage taker, John Wayne Grady and Napkin, which is another hostage. I like how the story unfolds, although it is quite slow in places, a slow build one could say.

85. The Host by Stephenie Meyer

The first love triangle with only two people. I quite liked this, although in some places the writing is annoying, particularly when she is talking in the ‘WE’ (Wanda and Melanie together). Overall, I enjoyed the book, it’s no masterpiece, but then neither are her previous books. It has of course been left open for a sequel, and considering the popularity of Meyer at the moment I wouldn’t be surprised if this is made into a movie.

86. Serving Love by Annmarie McKenna, K. A Mitchell and Mary Winter

This is an anthology of gay M/M novellas. I liked McKennas the most, along with the sexy bit, she has good writing and an actual plot, which some romance novels lack.

87. Surrender by Kimberley Zant

This is the first of Zant's I've read. I was buying some other books on Amazon and saw this in my reccommended reading, I enjoyed it, it was hawt, good story, although rather unbelievable (at least in my world it is!).

88. This is not a drill by Paul Carter

This is the second book by Carter and is just as funny and well written as his first. He has the talent of making even the most mundane story interesting.

89. Dreamwalker by Isabelle Carmody

This graphic novel was beautifully illustrated and the story was great, Carmody def has a way with words. I love how Ken's notes are written throught the book, it's a nice touch.

90. How to be bad by E. Lockhart, Sarah Mlynowski and Lauren Myracle

This was a fun book, three girls driving through Florida, seeing the sights and learning about life and each other (corny much!), as the blurb says: "Sometimes it doesn't matter where you're going, since getting there is half the fun."

91. Atalanta by Justine & Ron Fontes

Graphic novel about the Greek myth. I liked it and it's a way to learn about myths and legends.

92. Demeter and Persephone by Justine and Ron Fontes

I liked this myth better, (storywise), both were quick reads, but they still seemed like you got the whole story. Hoping that work has the other four in the series.

93. Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden.

Not sure why I haven't read this series until now, enjoyed the first book a lot. I remember having to read So much to tell you for school & I love his other books. I'll be interested to see what they do with the movies.

94. Spy High 3: The Serpent Scenario

Surprisingly, this was better than the last two. The writing was better and I enjoyed the story more than the previous books.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog title cracks me up! And I have "The Host" on my reading list for 2010 -- I've heard it is good!

    And I was stopping by to welcome you to the Take Another Chance Challenge. Have fun with it and I look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Tweet This!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...