Wednesday 12 November 2008

Death...one of lifes certainties

Well I haven't really mentioned any authors that have died on my blog yet, but with Michael Crichton's recent passing I thought I would pay tribute to some of the authors that will be sadly missed from the literary world.

Michael Chrichton - He lost his battle with Cancer on the 4th of Nov. He gave us Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Timeline, ER, State of Fear and Next (these are just a few of his works) and will be sadly missed. I always enjoyed his books, full of action suspense, I quite enjoyed his foray into sci fi. His works were translated into 36 different languages and he has won a number of awards and in 2002, a newly discovered ankylosaur was named for him: Crichtonsaurus bohlini. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Arthur C. Clarke - Died on the 19th of March, he was probably best known for 2001: A Space Odyssey. I've never read any of his books, but I really think he's to be admired. He is a writer of both fiction and non fiction and has also won a number of awards, along with writing he was also an inventor.

Colin Thiele - Died on 4th Sept, as a kid we had to read a number of his books for school, they were always such fun. I loved Storm Boy, Sun on the Stubble, Seashores and Shadows, he was a fantastic Australian author, who wrote about the country he loved. I loved reading animal stories when I was younger, so Colin Thiele's books were always good to read.

I know there are a lot of other authors that have died this year, it's always sad to lose someone who has the ability to create such beautiful work, to be able to bring people together by using words, it's a truly fantastic ability and these authors will be sadly missed.

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet This!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...