Wednesday 23 July 2008

Stray by Rachel Vincent


Okay peeps, the very long awaited, above said review is about to begin...drum roll please...and scene...

Here's the blurb to set to mood:

OKAY, SO CATS DON'T ALWAYS LAND ON THEIR FEET
I know that better than most. Since rejoining the Pride, I've made big decisions and even bigger mistakes: the kind paid for with innocent lives. As the first and only female enforcer, I have plenty to prove o my father, the Pride, and myself. And with murdered toms turning up in our territory, I'm working harder than ever, though I always find the energy for a little after-hours recreation with Marc, my partner both on and off duty.

But not all my mistakes are behind me. We're beginning to suspect that the dead are connected with a rash of missing human women, and that they can all be laid at my feet--two or four, take your pick. And one horrible indiscretion may yet cost me more than I can bear....

I'm giving Vincent's debut novel 3.5 stars. While I did enjoy Stray, there were certain aspects of the novel that annoyed me. I thought it was too long (624 pgs) and while this is irrational, (I'm allowed), her overuse of the word 'syncopated', made me crankier than words that I try not to use on here can describe! I would read the word then BAM! Hello, there goes Gloria Estefan in my head, with her 'turn the beat around' song in my head. Faythe (the heroine), as a character was not always likeable - her 'poor little me' rant, did chafe a little towards the end. But she's feisty and I like that, I'm looking forward to seeing how she matures in Rogue. I particulary like the scene were she lures one of the kidnappers into the cell. The interaction with her and Marc (her jilted ex-fiancé), made me giggle which is all good, but they were also annoying sometimes, he was mooning over her, she's being all bitchy. Just have at it already!! - Sorry, my other sexy books are brushing off on me :) On that topic - the jiggy sections aren't all that jiggy with it, so if you like that sort of thing you're not going to find that here, but that's okay, we all like a little vanilla every now and then :) Sides, we have Lora Leigh and her Feline Breeds for that ;)

Overall, I think it was a good first novel, I know it has gotten mixed review, but it's obviously got a lot fans also. After Rogue, comes Pride (available early 2009), and I think that there will be 6 books in the series. So it will be great to see how the story and characters develop - I'm certainly looking forward to and am we speak still waiting ever so patiently for my copy of Rogue to arrive.

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet This!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...