Saturday 5 December 2009

Books I've read in 2009 - June

I've taken off the Last.fm widget off my side bar also, as you now have to pay to use the content. Which I don't have a problem with, but I'm not terribly fussed about either, hence...the removal. But onward and upward peeps, here's the june book list.

27. Gentlemen Prefer Blonds, but Gentlemen Marry Brunettes Anita Loos - This was fun, the main character, doesn't really have any talent, she just pretty and uses her looks to get what she wants, with amusing results. As a feminist, some might be offended, but if you're dumb enough to fall for it too bad I say.

28. Wicked Pleasure by Lora Leigh - This is part of the Bound Hearts series, so needless to say...it's hawt! Jaci Wright has been running from the Falladay twins, Chase and Cam, for seven years now. So this book is all about what happens when they finally catch her. Despite what many think about romance/erotica, the story is good, I like the characters, they're developed well, which serves the series well, as they often pop up in other titles.

29. Only Pleasure by Lora Leigh - The other Falladay brother gets a chance at his lady now. This rather steamy romp also has a few apperances by Khalid, who I think will be the next guy to get a book in the Bound Hearts series. His character was a welcome relief in this book as for the most part this is quite disappointing. The character of Chase didn't resemble the character that was seen in 'Wicked Pleasure'.

Previously, Falladay was a man who was comfortable in his own skin, he was happy, whereas his brother was the moody tempremental one who couldn't deal. This time around, it's Chase that has issues, which is annoying to say the least. This definately was poorer quality than what we usually see with Leigh. I can't help but think personal issues got in the way of her writing (the author was going through a separation), as Mavrick, from another series was also less than stellar.

30. I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroder.

I really enjoyed this. The basic plot is girl meets boy, they fall in love, boy dies, then comes back to haunt girl. Because she’s still in love with him she continues the relationship, weird yes. Not only does she have issues with facing the fact that he’s dead, she also blames herself for his death (they had a dare thingy going and the last dare was cliff diving, from which – obviously he didn’t survive).

I gotta admit, I love the verse novel, it’s a fresh way of telling a story, not often seen with adult novels, it’s mainly in teenage section that I’ve come across them. Check out Breaktime by Aiden Chambers, another fantastic verse novel and Love Ghosts and nose hairs is another great Australian? one.

This is Lisa Schroder’s first book – www.lisaschroederbooks.com

31. The King of Torts by John Grisham.

I don’t mind JG, but he can get repetitive and there’s only so much law talk I can take, so it’s actually the first one of his I’ve read in a long time five dolla. Basically, Clay, who works for the Public Defenders Office, gets approached with the deal of a lifetime, become a tort lawyer – make lots of money in an unsavory manner, generally by stiffing your client. Clay says yes, makes millions of dollars, spends millions of dollars then loses millions of dollars. Grisham is generally a good storyteller, I do sometimes get bored, this wasn’t as thrillery as some of his earlier novels, I loved The Client and The Pelican Brief. I haven’t read any of his non lawyer ones, I did start A painted house, but haven’t finished it yet. Not so much because I don’t like it, more that I have other stuff I would rather read.


32. A Bridge to the Stars by Henning Mankell.

Joel lives with his Father Samuel in Sweden. His mother has abandon him and at night he sneaks out of the house to look for a dog that he has seen from his window. One night he discovers that his father’s bed is empty, he has found a girlfriend in Sarah, the local barmaid. Which Joel resents, he and another boy for a secret society and wreak havoc on the towns no nosed lady. As Winter moves to Spring Joel discovers more about life, culminating in an event on the bridge

I thought it was beautifully well written, I’ve not read one of his adult novels (this is his first young adult effort).

33. Beast by Ally Kennen.

Stephen has a secret pet he keeps in a reservoir near where he lives, it’s one of the last things his father gave him. He’s been in and out of foster homes most his life. His mother is in a mental institution, his father lives in the forest and his brother is gone. About to be kicked out of the latest home, he decides he needs to kill the ‘beast’, he asks his father for help. He forms an attachment to Eric, who has his own welding/metal business and is a father figure to Stephen. The beast is both animal and a euphemism for all that’s gone wrong in Stephens life. By getting rid of the beast, he’s finally free to begin again, without the past coming back to haunt him.

I thought this was well written, engaging and I wanted to find out what happened. The mix of danger and excitement and the psychological aspects all tie the story together.

34. Little Fur: The Legend of Little Fur by Isobel Carmody.

This was a beautiful junior novel, really cute (not really the word I’m thinking of) characters. The story isn’t original, LOTR to name one, but Carmody is such a fantastic writer, that it doesn’t matter. I’ve been a fan of her novel since I was a kid and read Obertwynth. I did find some of it a bit hinky and it may well go over some kids heads, but there’s a strong moral woven into the story – basically we’re killing the earth and a. we’re doing nothing to stop it and b. we don’t care. I found that aspect a bit patronizing.

35. Marked by P.C. Cast & Kristen Cast. - This is the first in the House of Night series. I didn't mind it although, and I think it's the daughters influence, but the writing is annoying sometimes. The characters say/do immature things and while I know it's a teen series, it doesn't mean the readers should be treated like idgets. I did like it enought to keep reading, there are 6 in the series so far.

K, leaving it here today, will have to add the next few months of books tomorrow. Coming up also...my review of New Moon and Where The Wild Things Are :) Awesome.

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet This!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...