Wednesday 5 December 2007

A plague on both your houses


I thought I'd add a wee book review to spice up my learning blog, hmmm...so here goes!

At The Sign Of The Sugared Plum by Mary Hooper

It is 1665 and Hannah is excited about her first trip to London to help her sister in her shop "The Sugared Plum". Hannah does not however get the reception she expected from her sister. Instead of giving Hannah a hearty welcome, she is horrified that Hannah did not get her message to stay away - the plague has arrived.

I came across this book after a patron had returned it when I was on desk and what a great discovery! I'd already read 'Year of Wonders' by Geraldine Brooks and loved that so when I saw this I grabbed it. I have read teen fiction by Hooper before and liked her. It is simply written and easy to understand, is by no means a long book, (169pgs), but I started reading it and didn't stop until I'd finished.

The characters are beautifully written and believable, (something I also enjoyed with the Megan series by Hooper). This isn't an academic tale of the plague but I enjoyed it anyway, there is a few pages at the end for history buffs and I particulary like the recipes for some of the sweetmeats they make in the book. Hooper often writes sequels, so it would be great if there was one written for this book, I'd really like to see where the characters are now and if they would have returned to London.

I'll give it 3 & 1/2 stars.

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet This!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...