Wednesday 18 August 2010

The Brazen Bride by Stephanie Laurens

Before I went away I was lucky enough to receive a proof of one Stephanie Laurens new titles from the lovely people at HarperCollins, yay twitter!! So here's my review - late as usual, but that's just how I roll.

The Brazen Bride (Black Cobra Quartet, book three). 432 pgs of swashbucking adventure, saucy excapades and smexy behaviour!

This was released in July, so Laurens readers would most likely have already read this, but if you're one of the uninitiated - I definately recommend giving this book and the rest of the series a closer look. As per my usual lazy self I've used the blurb from the HarperCollins website

They're bold, courageous, resolute . . . ex-officers of the Crown united against a deadly traitor known only as the Black Cobra.

Shipwrecked, wounded, he risks all to pursue his mission—only to discover a partner as daring and brazen as he.

Fiery, tempestuous, a queen in her own realm, she rescues a warrior—only to find her heart under siege.

Bound by passion, linked by need, together they must brave the enemy's gauntlet to win all their hearts' desire.

I haven't read many of Stephanie's books, but I liked this. I hadn't read the first two books in the series, but I was mostly able to follow what was happening with the plot and storylines. Linnet Trevission is not the typical romance heroine. She's Captain of the Esperance, sometimes in the employ of the English Navy. She is living at Mon Coeur, with her rag tag family when the lucious Logan Monteith is literally swept onto her doorstep.

And so begins the next chapter in the Black Cobra quartet, with Linnet's help, Logan may just manage to to complete his part of the mission to bring down the Black Cobra. Sounds dramatic, I know, but it is rather. There's lots of action, with sea battles and sword fights in dark alleys with nasty assassins. All in all it's lots of fun. One thing I didn't like about the story, (without going into too much detail), was how easily Linnet changed her mind at the end. She's all whiny about her independence and not needing a man. Which will totes make sense when you read the book for yourself!! The other thing I'm still not sure about is the relationship between Alex and Daniel (the bad guys), half brothers, lovers??? Far be it from me to deny anyone some bum fun, but I'm not sure what it has to do with the story and it's a bit incesty, which gives it an ick factor. Maybe it makes more sense having read the first two books in the series.

Overall, an awesome time was had by me, it was the perfect way to start my holiday reading. It was a nice change of pace from the other books I'd been reading. Looking forward to reading the rest in the series.

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet This!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...